Free 50-Minute Phone Card + Free Shopping Spree!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Zinda Takes Umbrage and Action

Posted by parhad on September 12, 2001 at 13:27:55:

>>>This is "Cover Your Ass 101". Never mind attacks against Assyrians and their "country" for last several years, the thousands starved burned and killed...never mind all of that...just rush out now and show solidarity with the people who've been doing it.

This strikes me as such a cynnical approach, an ass kissing venture of monumental proportions. Of course we grieve for the innocent victims in the United States...who wouldn't? I just can't fathom for the life of me why we don't show any concern for our own victims.

And I appreciate the touch about being careful not to call down retaliation because thousands of Assyrians live in the Middle East...No Shit!! Did they just move there in the last two days?

From: Zinda Magazine
To: Zinda Magazine Members

Dear Reader,

In the wake of yesterday’s terrorist attack on the World Trade Center in New
York and the Pentagon Building in Washington D.C. some citizens of the United
States of Middle Eastern background may be unjustly deprived of their
constitutional rights and subject to public discrimination and
racially-motivated attacks.

Assyrian-Americans stand united behind the people and the government of the
United States in their resolve to find and punish the perpetrators of the
attacks in New York and Washington.

While many Assyrian-American communities have already or are in the process
of releasing condemnation notices to the press and local government agencies,
Zinda Magazine suggests the following precautionary measures to minimize
unjust and illegal activities:

1) In case of emergency and a possible attack call –911 or contact your local
police department

2) Organize prayers meetings at local Assyrian churches and invite
non-Assyrians to join in vigils and prayer hours

3) Proceed with caution and resist rushes to judgment against any
non-Christian Middle Eastern groups in your press releases and public
annoucements

4) Organize community blood drives for the survivors of the attacks in New
York and Washington D.C. Call 1-800-Give Life

5) Anticipate police investigation and baggage searches at the airports. If
the agent or officer finds probable cause to search your house or car, you
have the right to refuse, remain silent and ask for a lawyer. Contact local
authorities if you deem such a search intrusive and racially motivated.

6) Take notes about what happens to you and contact your local Assyrian
organization or Zinda Magazine.

7) In case of discrimination at work, contact your company’s Human Resources
department

8) Keep in mind the hundreds of thousands of Assyrians living in the Middle
East when commenting on the possible U.S. military retaliations.

TO ASSYRIAN READERS IN SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA

A candle-light vigil is scheduled this Thursday, September 13, at 7:30 PM at
the Assyrian Church of the East Hall in San Jose. All Assyrian churches in
the region and the local organizations are participating at this event to
demonstrate their unity and condemnation of yesterday’s terrorist acts.
-------------------------
TO ASSYRIAN READERS IN NEW YORK CITY & WASHINGTON

Please reply to this message to confirm your safety and presence in the
aftermath of the attacks.
-------------------------
TO NON-ENGLISH SPEAKING ASSYRIAN GROUPS in EUROPE & MIDDLE EAST

Contact Zinda Magazine for assistance in drafting your press releases and
public condemnations

The best policy during these times of confusion is not to invite any
unwarranted searches or suspicion. However, if your rights as
Assyrian-Americans, according to the Constitution of the United States, are
denied then we urge you to contact your local authorities.

Zinda Magazine
September 12, 2001