Posted by Julia from cuapr71.ipr.northwestern.edu (18.104.22.168) on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 at 5:43PM :
In Reply to: yup. posted by Alli from ? (22.214.171.124) on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 at 4:32PM :
1) What is fred's ultimate goal?
-To promote the state of Assyria and the identity of Assyria for assyrians and the rest of society
2)How does fred pursue this goal?
-By making artworks that are abstractions of the assyrian identity and culture
- By "fighting" the people who also assume some kind of role as promoters of Assyria, who distort the interests of other Assyrians or don't include the interest of other Assyrians at all
-By "fighting" the people who are not Assyrian and who are working to spread false information about the assyrian culture and identity
3) wHat is fred not out to do?
-Fred's not out to make friends or win a popularity contest
4) What is the implication of number 3?
- In not wanting to make friends or become popular, fred doesn't care about what other people think about him
- What stems from that is that he doesn't care how his words come across for other people
5) How do we see number 4?
- His rants on Jackie
-His rants on Nimrod
- His rants on (________)
6) What is the relationship between Fred's rants and the fight to promote the assyrian identity/heritage?
- Rants are "dual use"
a) They can and do highlight the injustices of what a group of people in power can do against a man who is working to promote assyrian identity/heritage
b) They can also be of little value to people who do not want to read about genitalia, sex, balls, those who want to have sex with fred, those who were denied, etc
7) Of a and b in part 6, what seems most important to the cause? (subjective answer, as are all of these 'points')
- Extract the essence of the cause, extract the issues from the rants
8) How can we do this?
- Use more hardcopy evidence
- Email correspondence
- use website to disseminate information on the cause and not qualities about the person or their genitalia
Naturally, this is my piddly little subjective view on my dear friend fred. Fred is not some neutral person in our lives fighting for a disembodied cause: the cause for the promotion of an identity or heritage is embodied in statue and in our flesh and in our heart. we are inextricable from the cause.
Bottom line: if you love the cause so much, you CANT be neutral to the people who make up the cause. You gotta respect both the cause and the people who make up the cause, who live the cause; without people like Jackie, Gandhi, whomever, there is no cause. What's fred's statue without Jackie's parties to congregate around them? What's a relief without Gandhi's kids running their fingers over them? People do not live for art; art is made for the people; it lives because the people give it value and see it as living...
the people are inextricable from the cause and the fight. respect the people, respect the cause.
-- signature .
Post a Followup