Posted by Tiglath from 093.a.011.mel.iprimus.net.au (220.127.116.11) on Monday, February 10, 2003 at 2:48AM :
Lets give a nation its due, its about to face a war of a doomsday style scenario (Hardly of its own making). George Bush's so called "war of civilisation" is being taken, ironically, to the genesis of civilisation itself, Babylon/Mesopotamia (Iraq). These pointers should restore the much needed credibility, admiration and respect that the Iraqi people deserve, and we hope they will perservere (again) through the coming storm.
Who Are the Iraqis?
By JOE BOB BRIGGS NEW YORK, Nov. 11 (UPI) -- Every decade or so, we should remind ourselves of who the Iraqis are:
1. Twelve-thousand years ago, they invented irrigated farming. They got to be so good at it that, today, they can still produce all the food they need even when "sanctions" are imposed.
2. They invented writing.
3. They figured out how to tell time.
4. They founded modern mathematics.
5. In the Code of Hammurabi, they invented the first legal system that protects the weak, the widow and the orphan.
6. Five-thousand years ago, they had philosophers who attempted to list every known thing in the world.
7. They were using Pythagoras' theorem 1,700 years before Pythagoras.
8. They invented artificial building materials, some kind of pre-fab-crete stuff used to construct high-rise towers.
9. Ur, in southeast Ir! aq, is assumed to be the place we're all descended from.
10. They were the first people to build cities and live in them.
11. For thousands of years, they wrote the greatest poetry, history and "sagas" in the world.
12. Because they were great horse breeders, they invented the cavalry in war.
13. The Iraq Museum in Baghdad contains some of the most outstanding stone, metal and clay sculptures and inscriptions created in the history of the world. Some of them are more than 7,000 years old.
14. The first school for astronomers was established by Iraqis.This is how the "wise men" got to be so wise. They knew how to follow the star.
15. Beginning around 800 A.D., the Iraqis founded universities that imported teachers from throughout the civilized world to teach ! medicine, mathematics, philosophy, theology, literature and poetry.
16. For the first 1,200 years of its existence, Baghdad was regarded as one of the most refined, civilized and festive cities in the world.
17. Abraham, the father of Israel, was from Iraq.
18. Abraham, the father of Islam, was from Iraq.
19. Abraham, the father and "model" of Christian faith, was from Iraq.
20. Iraq , is the second largest reserve of oil.
21. Before 1980, Iraq has the largest number of date palm trees in the world.
22. Iraqi wheat, rice, and meat are considered from the finest types in the world.
23. Iraq, has the biggest softwater/population ratio in the world , seven rivers.
24. Iraqis, once considered as the Germans of Arabs with highest percent of highly educated people. !
25. Iraq, is one of the world's richest territories in historical sites and holy shrines. Saddam Hussein doesn't regard himself as the heir of Abraham, or even as the heir of Muhammad. He regards himself, first and foremost, as the heir of Nebuchadnezzar. He identifies, in other words, with the enslaver, not the enslaved. Everything we know about the rest of Iraq tells us that Saddam is the exception, not the Iraqis. forward this to every Iraqi you know so he would know what great people they are, what great history they had, and what great things they founded and how great he is to tolerate and stand in the face of sabotage.
-- signature .
Post a Followup