Posted by Stella from dsc01-chc-il-6-187.rasserver.net (184.108.40.206) on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 at 0:32AM :
I just got this in an email...what the hell is next, detention camps for darkies?
IF THE FBI OR POLICE CONTACT YOU FOR QUESTIONING
The FBI has announced plans to interview more than one out of every five people of Iraqi origin living in the United States. This bulletin informs you how to respond when the FBI, INS, or police contact you for questioning.
* If an FBI, INS or police officer asks to speak with you, write down their name, title and phone number. Then CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY. We have a free hotline that provides confidential legal assistance.
THE NUMBER IS:
* If an FBI agent or police officer asks to speak with you tell him or her that you want to consult with an attorney first. Your attorney can contact them to set up the interview if you decide that you would like to talk to them. An attorney is a legal witness who will protect your rights.
* Any information that you give to an officer, even if it seems harmless, can be used against you or someone else. Lying to an officer is a crime. Remaining silent is not a crime. Do not talk without an attorney.
* You do not have to let an officer into your home or office without a warrant. Ask to see the warrant. If the officer will not show you the warrant, do not physically stop him or her from entering. If the officer insists, be sure to say that the officer does not have your permission to enter.
* If the officer claims to have a warrant for your arrest, ask to see the warrant. You must go with the officer. Do not answer questions until you consult with an attorney.
* Keep a copy of all immigration documentation in a safe place where a trusted friend or family member can access it and send it to you if needed.
PLEASE CALL US FOR ASSISTANCE-
LET OTHERS KNOW ABOUT THIS HOTLINE NUMBER
American Arab Anti Discrimination Committee, Michigan Chapter
American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan
Arab Community Center for Economic & Social Services
National Lawyers Guild, Michigan Chapter
-- signature .
Post a Followup