Free 50-Minute Phone Card + Free Shopping Spree!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

A Thoughtful Letter....tanx

Posted by parhad on August 28, 2001 at 23:58:28:

Dear sir,

I am not of Assyrian/Chaldean/Aramean/Syrian/... ancestry. Rather I am a

descendant of the Thor-worshipping Hell's Angels of Europe. We had the same

reputation in the Middle Ages which the Assyrians had in the ancient world

to the surrounding countries. This merely to say that I am outside the

general discussion.

In mourning the departure of your ancestors from the worship of Ashur, have

you considered that that very departure aided in centuries of survival under

the Moslems? The Jews, Christians, and Zoroastrians are considered people

of the book, and thus may continue in their traditions. On the other hand,

'pagans' are to be converted by whatever means available. The destruction

of Lurian culture is one recent example. I am not saying by this that

conversion to Christianity necessarily preserves the original culture. A

comparison of the Epic of Beowulf with the Nibelungenlied or the Elder Eddas

shows definite shift of understanding, with a loss of earlier significances.

It was not Assyria's religious shift which permitted the Moslem conquest.

As far as I can tell, most of the descendants of the old Babylonians now

think of themselves as Arabs, and have lost all of their cultural

continuity.

Where now are the worshippers of Ba'al? Where those who serve Bel Marduk?

Where now is Shamballa (believed to be a Buddhist kingdom in what is now

Afghanistan)? The Hindus retained their religion and power because they had

sufficient military might to repulse the Arab invaders. Even the two

military powers at the time of the original invasion were unable to

completely stop it. Persia was completely overcome, and the Persian

followers of Zoroaster are now a small minority in their homeland.

You may find Euro-American 'pagans', you may even find American jewish

'pagans'. You will not find Arab 'pagans' except perhaps among the most

assimilated in America. Nor will you find much trace of the Himyarite

culture, nor any modern version of their ancient faith.

In your ancestral homeland, the only non-Jewish, non-Christian groups able

to continue were the Mandaeans and the Yezidis.

Also, I would recommend a study of Jewish history. You refer in one of your

posts to a Jewish perspective you admire. My readings indicate that the

'Magnification of the Name' characteristic of Jewish communities in Europe

during the Middle Ages is closer to the perspective of those Assyrian,

Syrian, and Chaldean Christians who would rather die than convert. It is

through this perspective that the Jewish culture has survived two thousand

years without a homeland.

Still, I commend and honor your heart. I read your post about the Black

Moslem kid. It takes guts to care so deeply.

Please do not respond to this. You may post it, if you will, or ignore it.

Le'olam khayi

Push b'shena

Bob Griffin

Bob Griffin