something to humor you

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [Our Discussion Forum]

Posted by a friend from bgp04072465bgs.derbrh01.mi.comcast.net (68.40.245.181) on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 3:42PM :

thought you might enjoy this!!!!

Stella Award Nominations -
> Most Frivolous Lawsuit
> 5-10-2
>

> Stella Award Nominations
>
> Most of the country has heard of the Darwin Awards given
> annually to the individuals who do the most for mankind by
> removing themselves from the gene pool. Now, we have the Stella
> Awards given to the individuals who win the most frivolous
> lawsuits ever. The Stella Awards are named in honor of 81
> year-old Stella Liebeck, the woman who won $2.9 million for
> spilling a cup of McDonald's coffee on herself. The following
> are candidates for the award:
>
> 1. January 2000: Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was
> awarded $780,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her
> ankle, tripping over a toddler who was running amuck inside a
> furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably
> surprised at the verdict, considering that the misbehaving
> little fellow was Ms. Robertson's son.
>
> 2. June 1998: 19 year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won
> $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his
> hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice
> there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to
> steal his neighbor's hubcaps.
>
> 3. October, 1998: Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pa., was leaving
> a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He
> was not able to get the garage door to go up, because the
> automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't re-enter
> the house because the door connecting the house and garage
> locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation. Mr.
> Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He
> subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found in the garage and a large
> bag of dry dog food. Mr. Dickson sued the homeowner's
> insurance, claiming the situation caused him undue mental
> anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of a half million dollars.
>
> 4. October 1999: Jerry Williams of Little Rock Arkansas was
> awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the
> buttocks by his next door neighbor's beagle. The dog was on a
> chain in its owner's fenced-in yard at the time. Mr. Williams
> was also in the fenced-in yard. The award was less than sought
> because the jury felt the dog may have been provoked by Mr.
> Williams who, at the time, was repeatedly shooting it with a
> pellet gun.
>
> 5. December 1997: A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay
> Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pa., $113,500 after she slipped on a
> soft drink and broke her coccyx. The beverage was on the floor
> because Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boy-friend 30 seconds
> earlier during an argument.
>
> 6. December 1997: Kara Walton of Clamont, DE., successfully
> sued the owner of a night club when she fell from the bathroom
> window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This
> occurred while Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the
> window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover
> [...]

-- a friend
-- signature .

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Message:
Optional Link ( default )

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com